Friday, October 23, 2009

mom,mom,mom,mom,mom,mom.....

Why is it that kids feel the need to repeat things SO many times? Cam repeats the same word or sentence about 10 times before I even have a chance to answer her. I wonder why. Did I once ignore her and now she feels the need to have to keep repeating until she knows she has my attention? It seems to be a habit I see in a lot of young children though. Do we unknowingly ignore them? Or is it just something that is instilled in them somehow? I wonder....what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

jes said...

Emma does the same thing. The doctor said that this is the time when they either gain confidence or start being self-conscious. The way we help them build confidence is by repeating everything they say, and quickly. That way you are validating them. I guess it makes sense? :)

Kathi said...

Hmmm, maybe a little bit of both - we do tend to be doing something & don't just drop it to answer them right away all the time, but I think it's a stage too. Wait until the "why?" stage for every answer you give - hahahahhah!!!

Heidi Mae said...

I've always just thought my kids liked hearing their own "new" voice because whether I answer them right away or take a second to give them my full attention, it's the same. I always laugh at that stage though, here we try soooo hard to get them to say 'mom' or 'dad' and then when they don't stop...
Enjoy it, they eventually grow out of it. :)